Thursday, February 17, 2011

Emulation

I remember when Eminem first got popular. (now I realize this is a dangerous way to start off a post. you're prolly thinking "oh man, here we go, its either going to be a 'remember those days' post, or this entire blog is going the way of a of a latenight fox sitcom, a slow painful death that upset all 6 of its followers. but stick with me.) I remember right after he got popular everyone started buzzing their hair and bleaching it. suddenly it was ok for skinny white kids to dress like gangsters. when we see something, whether it be a style, a personality trait, or a way of speech that we find interesting or attractive we emulate it. its like that screeching weasels song. "everywhere i go, i find more pieces of myself." we see something, we decide that we want to make that apart of ourselves and we do, whether consciously or subconsciously.

there is a problem with this though. you can't always adopt certain traits out of the blue. allow me to give you and example. I recently found out I was a hipster. (I know, and thank you for your prayers.) I found this out by accident. I googled it and searched the old urban dictionary and sure enough, the definition practically described me. Not all of it in a positive light I might add. so lately I've been dressing more like a hipster, and people have noticed. People think its lame that I find out I have some characteristics in common and suddenly go out and buy a closet full of flannel and start growing a beard. But here's the fun part. I was already growing a beard, and I've had a closet full of flannel since I was 12! I just didn't know I could wear it. lol. 

or an even better example is Stacey, Stacey now wears skinny jeans, but so does everyone, so its not a huge noticeable change. there is a line though. lately we've been watching Tru Blood. And both Stac and I think the whole, southern gentleman and southern style is kinda cool. but you can't just start wearing cowboy boot and talking in a southern accent out of the blue. that'd be crazy. (ps. i'm totally getting cowboy boots cause hipsters wear them, and I've always wanted a pair so I can keep a straight razor in them like a Quinton Terantino character.) so there is always going to be limits. but I personally love the culture mashing. so if you see me walking up in cowboy boots, skinny jeans, flannel, and some avaitors, try to cut a brother some slack. cause it can get rough in these parts

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget the "I am now the proud owner of a 3 0z flask that I bought from Amazon, because I wanted something to put in the pocket of my vintage bomber jacket that I got from the thrift store. Why 3 ounces? Because I'm a hipster, not an alcoholic. God."

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK I am so concerned right now...I just like stocked up on skinny jeans (well skinnier...my calves cant handle this jeggins stuff HAHA ...just retired my flares I suppose) AND I got my cowboy boots from ebay in the mail today AND I totally asked for a bomber jacket for christmas. What the hell is a hipster? I need to find out...hold on...ok...I just read it. Wow. SO it is pretty much saying you take what you like and you just mix it together and make it look hawt? That is definately you kid... and Stacey...I mean...when you like something you like it and why not mix it in. STAC cool suspenders BTW I wish I would look that cool in them. : ) I would probably LEAN towards hipsterism if I was thinner...dont argue with me it is a totally valid point. But I do what I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw thanks Jean! You're too nice. Reading your comments always gives me an ego boost. And you're a hipster too, let's be honest, you have way too many awesome vintage clothes (I'm thinking of that floral trench) to say otherwise ;)

    ReplyDelete